With AI making its way into the digital marketing world fast, these AI SEO and content marketing statistics show how impactful it will be.
So what do these AI statistics mean for SEO and content?
Well for starters, these industries will have seismic changes. For both positive and negative reasons.
Content and SEO will now be able to increase their output while decreasing operational costs.
On the flip side, the playing field will only become more competitive. More companies pumping out more content, and more guidelines to follow (EEAT).
These SEO and content marketing AI statistics show the impact of the change that’s coming to the marketing industry.
Here are the top SEO and content marketing AI statistics you need to know for 2023-2024.
Content Marketing AI Statistics
1. AI is Now Being Used to Personalize Content (Statista)
2. The top use of generative AI among marketers is creating content at 48% (HubSpot)
3. 54% of content marketers and SEO specialists say they use AI and automation in their role (HubSpot)
4. ChatGPT is the most popular AI app for content marketers with 53% saying it’s their top choice (HubSpot)
5. Marketers use AI the most to conduct content research (HubSpot)
6. 69% say generative AI is important to their overall content strategy (HubSpot)
7. 82% of marketers say generative AI has already impacted the way they plan to create content in 2023 (HubSpot)
8. 45% of marketers said they primarily use generative AI to create content (HubSpot)
9. 20% of marketers use generative AI to write copy (HubSpot)
10. 18% of marketers use generative AI to create content outlines (HubSpot)
11. When Content Marketers were asked how they use AI to write, 53% said they use it to make minor edits to the generated text before publishing (HubSpot)
12. 39% of content marketers said they make major edits to the generated text before using it (HubSpot)
13. Marketers using generative AI to make content save an average of 3+ hours per piece (HubSpot)
14. 96% of content marketers say AI content is not complete enough to publish on its own (HubSpot)
15. When writing copy using generative AI, only 5% of content marketers use it to write entire pieces of content (HubSpot)
16. 35% of marketers use generative AI to get content ideas or inspiration (HubSpot)
17. 25% of content marketers use generative AI to write a few paragraphs that they then expand upon (HubSpot)
18. 63% of marketers use generative AI to make content perform better (HubSpot)
19. 89% of content marketers say generative AI improves the quality of their content (HubSpot)
20. 83% of marketers say that AI helps them create significantly more content than they could without (HubSpot)
21. 21% of marketers use AI to summarize text into key points (HubSpot)
22. 37% of marketers use AI when analyzing blogs to provide actionable insights (HubSpot)
23. The number 1 Challenge cited by marketers is that AI tools sometimes produce inaccurate information (HubSpot)
24. 50% of marketers say they have received information they know is incorrect (HubSpot)
25. The AI tool most used by content marketers is Jasper.AI (32.8%) (Influencer Marketing Hub)
26. 54.5% have an optimistic view that AI will most likely enhance their content marketing efforts (Influencer Marketing Hub)
27. 44% of marketers have adopted AI for content production (Influencer Marketing Hub)
28. According to 49% of marketers, AI is effective at producing clear and easy-to-read text. (BusinessDIT)
29. 43% of marketers agree that AI speeds up the content creation process. (BusinessDIT)
SEO AI Statistics
31. 37% of marketers use AI to automate time-consuming SEO tasks (HubSpot)
32. 87% of SEO specialists say they use AI and automation the most effective with aligning content with search intent (HubSpot)
33. The second choice was improving the user experience on their site at 80% (HubSpot)
34. The third choice was improving their SERP ranking at 74% (HubSpot)
35. 35% of marketers use AI to create an SEO-driven content strategy (HubSpot)
36. 44% of SEOs believe AI will have a positive impact on their SEO strategy (HubSpot)
37. 51% of SEO specialists don’t think AI will impact their SEO strategy (HubSpot)
Ecommerce AI Statistics
38. 25% of marketers use AI to create product descriptions (HubSpot)
39. 70% of North American and European e-commerce decision-makers believe AI will aid personalization and facilitate site searches in 2021. (Gitnux)
40. 51% of e-commerce companies use AI to provide a seamless experience (Gitnux)
General AI Digital Marketing Statistics
41. 80% of industry experts expect to use AI in their marketing activities (Statista)
42. 26% of B2B Marketers are using chatbots in their marketing programs gained 10-20% more leads (Statista)
43. The current estimate for the AI industry is around 15.84 billion dollars. It’s expected to grow to 107.5 by 2028 (Statista)
44. In just 2 Months, ChatGPT reached 100 million users (HubSpot)
45. 45% of marketers use AI to analyze and report on data (HubSpot)
46. 20% of respondents to the influencer marketing hub said that they spent 40% of their marketing budget on AI-driven campaigns (Influencer Marketing Hub)
47. 42% said the main reason for not using AI yet was a lack of understanding (Influencer Marketing Hub)
48. 23.7% said the other reason for not using AI was a high cost of implementation (Influencer Marketing Hub)
49. 35.6% of marketers are worried AI might jeopardize their job (Influencer Marketing Hub)
50. 70%+ of marketers believe AI can outperform humans at their jobs (Influencer Marketing Hub)
51. ChatGPT is the fastest growing app in the history of web applications (Influencer Marketing Hub)
52. There are over 950 AI tools available (Influencer Marketing Hub)
53. 63% of marketers use AI tools for email marketing (Influencer Marketing Hub)
54. Marketers’ use of AI soared between 2018 and 2020, jumping from 29% in 2018 to 84% in 2020, according to Salesforce Research’s most recent State of Marketing (imeanmarketing)
55. According to Gartner, 63% of Digital Marketing leaders are struggling with personalization, yet only 17% implement AI or machine learning across their departments. (imeanmarketing)
56. 56.6% of marketing experts believe that AI will have the largest impact on the marketing industry by 2025.(Gitnux)
57. 72.4% of respondents are optimistic about the potential impact of AI. (Search Engine Journal)
58. 68% want to invest in AI-powered tools or services this year. (Search Engine Journal)
59. 21% of marketers think generative AI will be the biggest disruption in the next few years (Search Engine Journal)
Source: Search Engine Journal
60. E-E-A-T is also considered to be a disruptor at 13.5% (Search Engine Journal)
61. 16.5% of marketers thought generative AI/AI/ML would cause the biggest shift in the SEO industry (Search Engine Journal)
62. 57% of marketers said that generative AI has somewhat impacted their SEO strategy (Search Engine Journal)
63. 41% of marketers said that they think generative AI and ML will help their business this year (Search Engine Journal)
Source: Search Engine Journal
64. Inversely, 12% of marketers said that generative AI and ML will hurt their business this year (Search Engine Journal)
65. In total, 72.4% of marketers think generative AI and ML will help in some way (Search Engine Journal)
66. And that 81.5% of marketers said that generative AI has impacted their SEO strategy in some way (Search Engine Journal)
67. SEO directors were the most likely (37%) to say that generative AI has impacted their SEO strategy (Search Engine Journal)
68. 68% of marketers are looking to automate tasks or use an AI-powered service (Search Engine Journal)
69. Marketers were asked which tasks could be automated with software next year and 13% said getting the most from generative AI (Search Engine Journal)
Source: Search Engine Journal
70. Following that, marketers also had content generation at 2 (11.1%), and content audits at 3 (10.7%) (Search Engine Journal)
Source: Search Engine Journal
How AI is Changing the SEO Playing Field
AI is revolutionizing the field of SEO, bringing about significant changes in how websites are optimized and ranked in search engine results. Here are some key ways in which AI is currently changing the field of SEO:
AI is Creating Better Search Algorithms
AI-powered search algorithms have become more sophisticated in understanding user intent, context, and natural language.
These improvements leveraging AI will allow search engines to deliver more accurate, relevant, and personalized results to users.
AI is Allowing For More Personalized Search Results
AI algorithms analyze user data and behavior to personalize search results based on individual preferences, location, and search history. This leads to more tailored and targeted search experiences for users.
The rise of Google’s Search Generative Experience will also allow users to conversate with AI while they search.
This will give SEOs more opportunities to gain SERP real estate, especially for queries that might present personalized results.
AI is Helping With Content Generation and Optimization
AI-powered tools assist in content creation and optimization. With tools like Jasper available, it’s never been easier to scale up your content program.
Now with ChatGPT, you can create entire articles of content with a single prompt.
From generating keyword-rich content to suggesting improvements, AI can help streamline and automate content-related processes.
Natural Language Processing (NLP)
NLP algorithms enable search engines to understand the meaning behind queries, decipher user intent, and serve more relevant results.
This shifts the focus from exact keyword matches to understanding user needs in a more human-like manner.
AI Can Help With Data Analysis and Insights
AI-powered analytics tools provide deep insights into website performance, user behavior, and search patterns.
These insights enable SEO professionals to make data-driven decisions and refine their strategies for better results.
How AI is Changing Content Marketing
AI is also bringing significant transformations to the field of content marketing. AI can empower marketers to create more targeted, personalized, and engaging content that resonates better with their audience. Here are a few ways content will be changed by AI.
AI technology enables content personalization at scale. Marketers can leverage AI algorithms to analyze user data, preferences, and behavior, allowing them to deliver highly relevant content tailored to individual users.
Content Creation and Curation
AI-powered content generation tools assist marketers in creating high-quality and relevant content quickly.
These tools analyze data, extract insights, and generate content that aligns with user intent, saving time and effort.
Chatbots and Conversational Marketing
AI-powered chatbots enable interactive and personalized conversations with users, providing real-time assistance, collecting data, and guiding users through the customer journey. Chatbots enhance user engagement and improve lead nurturing.
Content Distribution and Promotion
AI algorithms analyze audience data and behavior to identify the most suitable channels and timings for content distribution.
AI-powered tools can automate content promotion strategies, reaching the right audience at the right time.
Improved Content ROI
AI technologies help marketers measure and optimize content ROI by analyzing various performance metrics, tracking conversions, and attributing success to specific content pieces. Not to mention the cost of producing AI content is significantly cheaper than a writer’s output.
Writers won’t be replaced by AI, but it will certainly help them scale up their work.
SEO AI Trends to Look Out For
Google May Bring the Hammer Down on Websites Pumping Out Low-Quality AI Content
As AI-generated content becomes more accessible, Google may tighten its algorithms to penalize websites that produce low-quality AI-generated content.
Right now, Google has publicly stated that AI-generated content is fine, but this may change if they find its being abused.
Companies that leverage AI and produce quality content will be fine, but we’ll likely see more manual penalties for sites pumping out low-quality AI content.
EEAT Will Become More of a Necessity Across All Industries
Experience, Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness (EEAT) will become even more crucial for websites across all industries as AI becomes more prevalent.
These guidelines help Google reward high-quality content and deliver search engine results users can trust.
Top of the Funnel Keywords or Informative Content May Get Replaced by Generative AI
Google will likely replace a large share of top-of-the-funnel content through its generative AI.
Answers can now be directly received through generative AI so there will be less of a need to scan through multiple articles looking for your answer.
Keyword Search Volumes Will Be Made Redundant Through Generative AI and Conversational Queries
Generative AI and the rise of conversational queries will gradually make traditional keyword search volumes less relevant.
Now that we can talk directly to search engines, results are going to become more personalized, meaning keyword volumes will vary greatly based on each individual.
Now that results are becoming more personalized, you’ll really want to understand your ideal audience and what they’re looking for.
While keyword volumes may become redundant, personalized content will stand to benefit from Google’s SGE.
Voice Search May See a Boost in Popularity Again if Users Can Directly Converse with Search Engines
The popularity of voice search could see a comeback if advancements in AI allow users to have direct conversations with search engines.
While AI software like Siri has been around for years now, we can now perform conversational searches.
This means we can conversate with search engines directly to have more personalized results or have them assist us directly.
It will become like having your own personal assistant.
Content Trends for AI
Content will Become Hyper-Personalized through AI
AI will enable hyper-personalization of content by leveraging user data, preferences, and behavior.
Websites will be able to deliver customized content experiences tailored to individual users, enhancing engagement and conversions.
Content Creation Output will Increase for Most Companies. It will be a Mix of Both Good and Bad Content
AI-powered content generation tools will lead to an increase in content creation output for many companies.
However, this will result in a mix of good and bad content, emphasizing the need for human review and editing to ensure quality and accuracy.
Chatbots will Become More Interactive and Personalized
AI-driven chatbots will evolve to provide more interactive and personalized experiences for users.
They will engage in dynamic conversations, understand user intent better, and offer tailored assistance, enhancing customer support and user satisfaction.
Content will become more Consistent with Brand Messaging
AI-powered content creation tools can help companies ensure consistency in brand messaging across various channels and platforms.
By analyzing brand guidelines and existing content, AI can generate content that aligns seamlessly with the brand’s tone, voice, and values.
Good Copywriters Won’t be replaced, but Mediocre Ones Will Be
While AI can assist in content creation, skilled and creative copywriters will remain invaluable.
However, mediocre copywriters who rely solely on generic content creation may struggle as AI technologies match their production while reducing cost and time.
Closing Thoughts on These AI SEO Statistics
Want to get ahead of the AI curve and position your site for the change? Use these AI SEO statistics to help you navigate the changing playing field.